O.V. Brantley Studio

A collection of exceptional quilts by O.V. Brantley, Atlanta, GA.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Gifts For People of Quiet Strength


I originally started the Awesome African Elephants in My Garden series as a way to experiment with coupling traditional patterns with Afro-centric fabric. The quilts were just another step in my growth as a quilter. Each quilt in the series starts with a traditional 12 x 12 inch block. After that I let my imagination go with only one rule. There must be elephants in the quilt. Usually there are also African fabrics. All of the quilts in the 12 quilt series measure approximately 48 x 48 inches and have a herd of elephants on the back.


Why elephants? I guess because if you pledge Delta Sigma Theta Sorority as I did over 30 years ago, you learn to love elephants. Also, because they are truly awesome animals – strong but gentle. It doesn’t hurt that they bring you good luck if they have their trunks up.


About half way through the series, I decided I have too many quilts and needed to give some away. So I came up with my personal awards show – the Person of Quiet Strength Award! Since I plan to keep #1 for myself, there are 11 people out there who will receive my Person Of Quiet Strength Award.
Shown here is #1 in the series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home