O.V. Brantley Studio

A collection of exceptional quilts by O.V. Brantley, Atlanta, GA.

Friday, August 31, 2007

The Prayer, The Poem and The Receiving Line


My staff decided I must have a public reception to give clients, employees and the public at large an opportunity to say goodbye. So on July 19, 2007, we gathered in the beautiful atrium of the Fulton county Administration Building. In keeping with tradition, there had to be a program.

I received a proclamation from the Atlanta City Council that was delivered by Councilman C.T. Martin. Secretary of State Karen Handel and District Attorney Paul Howard both sent proclamations.

However,what is most memorable to me about this reception is the prayer and the poem. People are still talking about them. I have been a devout Baptist all my life, and I have heard thousands of preachers, deacons, evangelists and even devils pray! But David Ware prayed for me like no other. I actually had him to write it down for me afterwards.

The surprise was the poem. Vernon Comer, aka as the husband of my Office Manager and Santa Claus at the annual office Children's Holiday Party, had not only written a poem for me but he performed it. I had no idea he was a creative genius at Spoken Word! I'll post the poem later. It is call On Your Journey, and I am sure it will inspire a quilt.

After another short speech from me, it was time for the receiving line. I sincerely thank all of you who took time out of your busy day to share my special day. I treasue every hand shake and hug. And don't let me forget the party committee. The food was great, and the decorations were done in my favorite red and white.

At the end of the day, India and I were exhausted, but what a memorable day. How many Moms get to have their teenager share such a special day. I hope it is a memory that propels India to serve others when she makes her life decisions.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi O.V.,
    Congratulations on your retirement. It seems like just a short while ago that you were speaking about it and now your are actually living it. I guess now you will make 100 quilts a day instead of a few hundred a year. I gave up on trying to keep up with you a long time ago.

    Keep on living and keep on quilting!
    Michelle Willis

     

Post a Comment

<< Home